Hailey had a little project a few weeks ago which was called a "Heritage Box" and I thought hers turned out really well. The idea was to take a box and devote each side to something that explains a part of your heritage. I'm not the type to save things so I thought I'd at least take pictures before I threw it away.
One side was for explaining the origin of your name.
Another side was for a family tree.
Then there was a side where family food traditions were shown.
There are so many but we didn't want it to be overcrowded.
One side was devoted to a notable relative. Again, there are probably
so many we could've written about but Hailey wanted someone "famous"
and Grandmommy told us this story of her Great Grandfather and I
was able to find some information on the internet about him. I mean,
Hailey was able to find some information....I didn't help at all, wink, wink.
Then, a side outlining some family traditions that have been handed down through generations.
And, a side with the flag's representing your ancestor's countries of origin.
Hailey loved this project. She had a great time discussing family history, traditions, songs and stories from the past with both of her grandmothers. What a nice way to encourage children to learn about where they came from and to foster interaction between parents, grandparents and grandchildren.
Mrs. Briscoe (Hailey's 3rd grade teacher) has been so good at challenging her students this year with different projects that have really helped them grow and gain confidence. I was able to go in and help with a research project they did that really taught them the basics of how to do a research paper. They learned how to look up information in an encyclopedia, books and the internet and write a bibliography. They learned how to organize facts into categories, then how to form a paragraph with an introduction, middle and a conclusion. Then, they learned how to put the whole thing together to form a report. Research projects were always so overwhelming for me as a student and breaking it down in such a basic way seemed to make it so much more simple. I have a horrible memory but I don't think I learned anything like this in 3rd grade!
I must admit, the year started off a bit rocky, but I think both the students and Mrs. Briscoe have settled into a place where they seem to all be doing really well. I have to hand it to all of them, teacher (who had a baby this year), and the students. What I thought was going to be a disaster of a year, has turned out to be a really good experience (I guess I can only speak for Hailey and myself but the few times I've been into volunteer, the class seems to be doing really well). Hailey has really gained a load of confidence this year. I am so proud of her and grateful to her teacher.






No comments:
Post a Comment